Saturday, March 7, 2009

15 Albums

I was recently tagged by a friend in a facebook note to list 15 albums that changed my life. I usually don't do chain emails of the sort, but that sounded like a cool one. So I'm reposting it here. 15 albums that have changed my life, in no particular order:

1. Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come

2. Radiohead - Kid A

3. Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity

4. NOFX - Punk in Drublic

5. Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

6. Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

7. Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians

8. Cadence Weapon - Breaking Kayfabe

9. Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album

10. Strung Out - Twisted by Design

11. AFI - Black Sails in the Sunset

12. Olivier Messiaen - Quartet for the End of Time

13. John Zorn - Electric Masada

14. Lagwagon - Trashed

15. Mars Volta - De-loused in the Comatorium



There should be a few more honorable mentions, but a lot of times it's a group of albums by a band, or a set of bands with no particular albums as number one, that changes the way I look at things, at least about music. In Rainbows (and Hail to the Thief, and OK Computer) should be next to Kid A, but Kid A was my first exposure to Radiohead. There should be something about post rock in there, which has had a huge effect on me, but tends to do so with songs. So hell yeah to Godspeed's "Storm" on Lift Your Skinny Fists, and a bunch of stuff by Mogwai, Tortoise, Sigur Ros, and more. And to David Bowie. Hunky Dory would be next on the list.

No comments: