Friday, March 14, 2008

Densities/Blueprints

I'm currently working on a piece called Densities. It deals with relationships between numbers at is for piano and drum set. My good friend Ian Crandell is helping me out with some of the math that needs to be performed for its composition. When it's finished, I plan on rescoring it for piano and tape, drum set and tape, and percussion ensemble. I will also post a description of some of the techniques that went into it.

I've begun making plans for my next two pieces as well. Both involve spoken word. There may also be a string quartet based on some of the pitch material in the current piece, Densities, on the way. We'll see what the priorities are come the end of this one.

I'll be in Paris studying counterpoint and harmony at L'Ecole Normale de Musique de Paris for the month of July. I'll also be studying composition with Sofia Gubaidulina. If you're there during that time, drop me a line.

No comments: